Trash the dress. Looking for candidates !

Trash the dress refers to photographs that contrasts elegant clothing with an environment in which it is completely out of place. It is generally shot in the style of glossy beauty and glamour photography.

A model often wears a ball gown, prom dress or wedding dress, and may effectively ruin the dress in the process by getting it wet, dirty or in extreme circumstances tearing or destroying the garment.

It may also be done as an additional shoot after the wedding, almost as a declaration that the wedding is done and the dress will not be used again. It is seen as an alternative to storing the dress away, never to be seen again.

more examples via google images or flickr
While the initial reaction might be “why do I want to ruin my dress” , just think of what you will do with your dress after the wedding …. nothing … it will probably be there hanging in your closet. This is your opportunity to have some great & unique pictures & memories.  (and the shooting will be tons of fun)
So as the title of this post pointed out … I’m looking for candidates. You don’t have to be newly weds, if your dress still fits and you want to (sort of) renew your wedding vows and have a fun day or even if your not married and want do something like this, please contact me. And as this is a chance to add to my portfolio, the first  couples to react will be TFCD based .
If you are still not convinced about the concept, take a look at these videos and I know you will be !

more video goodies here & here

If other (non pro) photographers are reading this and want to do something similar for their portfolio, we could share gear & help eachother carrying & setting-up. (But do supply a bride while your at it)

9 Comments so far
by tdmphotography 09.10.08 9:12 am

WOAH there Joe, over reaction!

Good stuff again here Tom, nice idea, thanks for pointing it iut, could be fun to do a shoot in this manner. If only it were so easy to convince women to destroy that which they hold so dear! CLOTHES!

by tomleuntjensphotography 09.01.08 8:54 pm

To Joe Gallahan, I’m sorry there for this misunderstanding. Yes I used your image on my blog. I removed it immediately when you reacted. But lots of images , links, videos are being used on blogs every day, where is the line ? It was a public flickr image. I did not sell your image, I even mentioned & linked your name. So if I was wrong, I apologize, I never tried to take credit or profit from your work, I was simply admiring it.

by Joe Gallahan 09.01.08 5:27 pm

IF any of your viewers are actual artists, working in the industry, then they, too will understand that piracy and unlicensed use of another’s photo is the lowest of low in the industry. You are now the new subject of many, many blogs. Learn a little respect for your industry. You are not a photographer. You are a nerd with a camera. Sorry.

by Joe Gallahan 09.01.08 5:17 pm

Your usage of my image is not allowed! You are pirating this image. I have spent the past two days reporting this to the ASMP, posting blogs, and I plan to continue. Usage of this image requires immediate payment and permission. You are what photographers fear and loathe! You must contact me immediately. (removed email as anti spam)

by emerycophoto 08.23.08 1:05 pm

I love the videos you have posted. Great idea.

by AlexM 08.16.08 7:56 am

Your blog is interesting!

Keep up the good work!

by Sabrina Vaccaro 08.06.08 5:42 am

I would LOVE to do this shoot, but not sure where you are located! Our 4 year anniversary is in 2 days and we have been dying to do a trash the dress shoot for years! We have no pictures of us at our wedding (LONG story) so we really needed an excuse to get all dressed up again!

by Thomas 08.05.08 2:16 pm

We’re still looking at the details, but after our wedding (near the end of August) we might be doing a trash the dress shoot ourselves. Details are a bit fuzzy at the moment, but I’ll keep you updated on out decision 🙂

by Sofie 08.01.08 10:26 am